C . Emerson Morton founded the Morton Funeral Home in 1941. When Mr. Morton opened his doors for business, the population of Vandalia was only 600. In his first year of business, he handled 6 funerals for families in the community. Emerson and his wife Naomi, raised their children in the funeral home. In those days, they used the first floor as their living room and kitchen while the upstairs was their sleeping quarters. As his children grew, so did the community and the funeral business.
Emerson offered a variety of services to the citizens of the community above and beyond funeral services. He provided local ambulance service, donated the first ambulance to the Vandalia-Butler Twp. Fire Dept, loaned hospital equipment,and wheelchairs, and offered loaner chairs to anyone who needed them for parties, weddings or other gatherings. Although the Morton children grew up in the funeral business, they each chose diffrent career paths that did not lead them to follow in the family business. In 1979, after a very successful career in funeral service, Emerson Morton decided that it was time to retire. He wanted to spend time with his children and his ever-growing number of grandchildren. He decided that he would give someone else the opportunity to serve the public as he had for so many years.
On July 1, 1979 Richard and Barbara Whetstone became the new owners of the Morton Funeral Home. One year later the funeral home became known as it is today,the Morton & Whetstone Funeral Home.
Emerson Morton died on December 11, 2002 just days before his 90th birthday. He leaves behind a legacy within the Vandalia and Butler Township communities as a man who was always helping others in their time of need.